Not everyone wants to commit to making a gift in their wills or estates. Some prefer the increased flexibility that a beneficiary designation provides by using IRAs and retirement plans, life insurance policies, or commercial annuities.
It only takes three simple steps to make this type of gift. Here's how to name Mile High United Way as a beneficiary.
- Contact your retirement plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution for a change-of-beneficiary form.
- Decide what percentage (1 to 100) you would like us to receive and name us, along with the percentage you chose, on the beneficiary form.
- Return the completed form to your plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution.
An Example of How It Works
Robert and Carol treasure the financial help they've been able to give their children and Mile High United Way over the years. The couple recently updated their will to leave stocks and real estate to their kids. They left Mile High United Way a $75,000 IRA to be transferred following their lifetime. Because Mile High United Way is tax-exempt, all $75,000 will help support our mission.
If Robert and Carol had left the IRA to their children, approximately $18,000* would have gone to pay federal income taxes—leaving only $57,000 for their family's use. Robert and Carol are happy knowing they are making the most of their hard-earned money thanks to their updated estate plan.
*Based on an assumption of a 24 percent marginal income tax bracket.
Your Free Kit!
Not Sure How to Begin Planning your estate?Download My Personal Estate Planning Kit
Gifts That Pay
Your payments depend on your age at the time of the donation. If you are younger than 60, we recommend that you learn more about your options and download this FREE guide Plan for Retirement With a Deferred Gift Annuity.
- Contact Chelsea Carver at 303.561.2351 or Chelsea.Carver@unitedwaydenver.org for additional information on beneficiary designations and how they can help support Mile High United Way with our mission.
- Talk to your financial or legal advisor to learn which assets will or will not trigger taxable income when paid to a beneficiary.
- If you name Mile High United Way in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Mile High United Way, Inc.
Address: 711 Park Avenue West Denver, CO 80205
Federal Tax ID Number: #84-0404235